Sunday, March 06, 2005

Private Investigator

I’m on my way back to Los Angeles. I had hoped to spend a few days resting, but that will have to wait. I received a phone call from Gil. He just left the hospital. He found Roger yesterday night at a strip club in Hawthorne.

He told me he recognized Roger as soon as he entered, because Roger was out of control, shouting and singing as three women danced in front of him. Gil went to him and told him to come along. Roger pushed him away. Gil tried to forcibly get him out of there. There was a scuffle between Gil, Roger and the three exotic dancers, who didn’t want my brother to go anywhere.

Suddenly, according to Gil, Roger screamed “Help, I’m being raped”. Three very burly bouncers appeared immediately. Apparently the bouncers thought one of the dancers was being attacked. They gave Gil a good beating. Roger escaped. Gil maced the bouncers and several strippers, who had come to help their colleague in distress and according to him that saved his life. He got in his car and drove away. One of the bouncers threw a baseball bat against his window. It broke. He wants me to pay for the window and his hospital bills.

I asked him whether he told Roger, that I had sent him. He said “No”. I told him that was very stupid, because Roger probably thought he was working for one of his loan sharks and was going to get his legs broken outside. Gil told me he wasn’t going to approach Roger again. He told me if they had called the police, he could’ve been charged with kidnapping, which I understand. He told me next time, he found Roger, I had to talk sense into him myself.

I was looking forward being home for a couple of hours. I haven’t been home for weeks now. First there were the tsunami relief effort visits, then the Asian book tour and the speeches in LA the last couple of days.

I’m tired. I just want to go to bed, but I’ll sleep on my way there.