Thursday, March 10, 2005

Hospital New York

I’m at the New York Presbyterian Hospital. The nurses are going to prepare me for surgery in a few minutes. I feel good. I woke up at four in the morning. The minute I stepped out of bed I felt great. A good night’s rest has done me a lot of good. I feel like I could run the New York Marathon right now. And the scary part is, I have this feeling I could win it too. Hahaha.

I feel much better than yesterday. Bobbi asked me to revisit my decision to post that message. I said no. I want people to know how I feel. I want to be strong for everybody and act like it’s no big deal, but I also have to show some responsibility.

What kind of message will I give young people or even young older people in their late forties and early fifties if I made this operation look like a walk in the park? That would be irresponsible. I don’t want people to think they can eat all the wrong foods, not exercise and think if anything goes wrong I’ll just do what Bill Clinton did, I get a quadruple heart by-pass operation. He says it’s no big deal and if there are complications, I’ll just get another operation. Bill Clinton says it’s no big deal.

Surgery is always a big deal. They are going to cut you open. You will never feel the way you felt before the operation.

Please everybody, eat wisely, exercise regularly. You do not want to be in my position.

After saying that, I do want to say I feel confident everything will be alright. The surgeons have done this operation many times. I have great confidence in them and the nurses.

Well, they are motioning me to get ready. I need to say a few words to Hillary, tell her everything is going to be alright. We shared a good long hug together last night and we talked a little and cried a little, but that is normal. I talked to Chelsea too. She’s a wonderful daughter. She always was.

I’ve asked Bobbi to keep you updated on the progress of my operation and recuperation.

May God bless all of you. Take good care of yourselves.