Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Home Chappaqua New York

Good morning. I’m back home in Chappaqua, New York. The doctors asked me to stay in the hospital for a few more days, but I wanted to go home as soon as possible. There wasn’t really a reason to keep me in the hospital, medically speaking. I feel good. The doctors told me the surgery and the healing process were going well. They wanted me to stay for a few more days, because they wanted to make sure I was getting better. I understand their point of view, but I also know myself. I will heal faster at home.

I would like to thank everybody for their kind remarks and well wishes. They meant a lot to me and my wife. I would like to thank you also for your prayers. They did make me feel better. Thank you. I will not forget your kindness.

I was worried about the operation, but right now all I want to do is put this healing process behind me. I will listen to the doctors, I will follow my diet and I will exercise every day. I just want to get better. I have a lot to do.

I had a lot of time, when I was in the hospital to think about my future. I have at least twenty more years to go. I’m not interested in retiring. Just lying on my bed for days, made me understand how much I love my job. Whatever that job is nowadays, be it an educator, speechmaker, writer or peacemaker. I love my job and I want to continue being active in the world community for years to come.

You know, for the first time in years I actually understood why Hillary wanted to be a public servant. It feels so good to serve other people. It feels so good to help other people. It’s the best feeling in the world to go to bed at night, thinking about your activities that day and knowing you had a positive impact in another person’s life. It’s the reason I didn’t like being a district attorney, but I loved being a governor and a president.

I’ve made up my mind. I want to continue helping people through my foundation and through my role as a special United Nations envoy. There is a lot of work to do. But that is OK, I have twenty more years to go.

Again I would like to thank you for your kinds words. I hope you will keep supporting me in the future. There is so much I want to do. I might be old and I might be fragile right now, but I will never surrender my ideals and I will never stop helping others.