Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Books and Music

When I woke up this morning I felt something had changed. I felt good, really good. I had no trouble breathing for the first time, since the surgery. I lifted my blanket and put my left leg on the floor. I sleep on the left side of the bed, because the right side is nearer to the door and since Hillary is the one working irregular hours sometimes well into the night, we thought it might be better, if she took that side instead of having to walk all around the bed in the dark.

As soon as my left foot hit the ground I froze. Something had changed. I could use my arms again. With no pain at all. I’m very happy about this.

One of the doctors visited me today and we talked about my progress. My wound is healing well. I do have to go to the hospital soon to get an x-ray, so the doctors can see if everything inside is healing well too.

The doctor told me I should start doing weight lifting exercises with small weights. I’m looking forward to it. I used to lift weights in high school. That is until I left the football team.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading lately. If you really like to read a good book, you should read Errol Flynn’s autobiography “My Wicked, Wicked Ways”. I probably shouldn’t recommend it to you, but I’m not going to lie, it was probably one of the most amusing books I’ve ever read in my life.

When I was just a kid I loved adventure stories. At that time my favorite book was Alexandre Dumas’ “The Count of Monte Cristo”. I read the original version of more than 1300 pages. I loved that book. Actually although I haven’t read it in decades, it still is my all time favorite book. I would’ve never acknowledged this if I was still running for office.

It’s a strange thing, being a politician. When I was running for office journalists asked me what my favorite song was. I couldn’t tell them the truth. My favorite song is “Be my Baby” by the Ronettes. Obviously I couldn’t say that, because it’s too romantic. So I decided to say it was “Don’t stop thinking about Tomorrow” by Fleetwood Mac.

It was the right thing to do at the time. You’re a politician, you’re telling voters you are going to change politics as they know it, so what better theme song than “Don’t stop thinking about Tomorrow”? It was perfect for the campaign.

I do like Fleetwood Mac. Most baby boomers do. If I’m right their album “Rumors” is still the best selling album in the United States. Their best song though, is, you will agree and you will know I’m being honest with you, their best song is “Tell me Lies”. Am I right or not? I couldn’t use “Tell me Lies” as my theme song during my presidential campaign.

The problem with telling people you like something, without really liking that particular thing is the fact that you will be confronted with that thing for the rest of your life.

I can’t tell you how many times I had to listen to some saxophone player play “Don’t stop thinking about Tomorrow” when I was president. It wasn’t fifty or a hundred times, not just here in the US, but also overseas. I never liked the song, but after all the times I was forced to listen to it, I genuinely dislike the song, but that’s my own fault. I was the one, who told them I liked it.