Friday, February 11, 2005

Optimistic about Democratic Party

I’m an optimist by nature. That is because I was born in the morning. There is this metaphor for your outlook on life, which says, people born in the morning, look at the sun coming up and say to themselves “Great, I have a whole day to do all the work I want to do today. Let’s get started”. People, who are born in the evening look at the sun disappearing into the Earth and think “There is no time left to do the stuff I want to do. Let it go. I’ll do it some other day”. People born in the morning are successful. People born in the evening are not.

This is a very old idea, but there seems to be some truth to it, scientifically speaking. I read a book about the subject of Luck in the plane going to Terry McAuliffe’s farewell party. The professor, who wrote the book says people’s chances in life do depend on Astrological signs and the day and hour of their birth.

He explains how being born during the summer makes you a more happy and lucky person than being born during the winter. It’s a pretty interesting theory. If you know the truth about yourself and you know you have a problem, you will be able to work around it. If you don’t know the truth about yourself, you still have a problem, but you are unable to deal with it. If you ever look at yourself and think I could do better, read the book. I’ll ask Bobbi to link to it. The Luck Factor.

After I finished the book I gave it to Terry. Terry is my friend. He’s a great guy. A funny guy too. Terry McAuliffe by the way has been the chairman of the Democratic party for the past few years. Tomorrow the party electors will elect Howard Dean as the new chairman.

I would trust Howard Dean with the Democratic party any day. He has all the traits a chairman needs. He is forceful, media friendly, a good organizer and he knows the internet. When I arrived at the party venue yesterday Howard was talking to someone. He glanced at me as I came through the door and continued his conversation. I had to walk all across the room to greet him.

Terry was very happy getting the book. He knows how much I appreciate the work he’s done for the party. We were all disappointed when we lost every single congressional election, and not only that, but lost seats too, and lost the presidential election against a president up to his neck in a failed foreign adventure and a failed domestic policy with an economy teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. Terry did a good job. And I’m sure the jobs in the private sector are lined up for him.

As I walked across the room to greet the great former governor of the very important state of Vermont, someone grabbed my arm and I heard “haaa”. I looked around. It was John Kerry.

I thought to myself. Terry wasn’t a bad chairman. If I approach someone from behind, that person will turn around with a smile. John approached me from behind and I thought I was going to be mugged. It’s about charisma. Voters have a feeling for that.

I reached governor Dean with some difficulty. I’m a heart patient after all. I have difficulty walking. I greeted him. He nodded back.

Later after the party I tried to strike up a converation with Howard. I said “The anti-war stance lost us the election”. “No”, he said and pointed his finger at me “The Republicans were better at getting out the conservative vote”. Dean looked at me and said “You got something else? No, I have to talk to someone. I'll catch you later”.

"You got something else?". I can't get those words out of my head. "You got something else?" What did he mean? I can't get those words out of my head. There is something about those words I don't like, but did he mean the question to be friendly or unfriendly? What was his intention?

I'm a two term president and I have to walk across the room to greet a failed presidential candidate and I give him some advice and I get a "You got something else?" back?

It's all about ego in politics nowadays and in the Democratic party more than anywhere else. And based on what? "You got something else?" I've never said that to anybody in my life. That's not the way you're supposed to talk to people. "You got something else?" To me? What have I done to anybody to deserve that kind of attitude?

"You got something else?" "You got something else?" "You got something else?" He probably was just trying to ask me whether I had more questions, because he was on a tight schedule. Maybe he was just trying to be friendly. That's probably it. I should stop second guessing people.

I'm going crazy in my old age. Here I've been trying to explain the meaning of his statement and getting upset all night and all day long and all Howard was trying to do is be friendly to me.