Monday, February 21, 2005

Limerick

Every now and then we like to post readers' e-mails on this diary. Here is one of them. Thank you Jennifer.
Bobbi Lamoon

Dear Mr. Clinton,

I only recently discovered your daily diary, so you may have already received this information.

The poem you mentioned may have actually been an old limerick! Perhaps this sounds familiar:

There was a young lady from Niger,
Who smiled as she rode on a tiger.
They came back from the ride
With the lady inside,
And a smile on the face of the tiger.

It is unfortunate that you will not be continuing your diary. I plan to go back and read through your past posts with the hope that perhaps you will be able to write more in the future.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Hite

ADDED:

Dear Mr. Clinton,

I was just about to email you the poem about the lady riding on the Tiger, when I discovered that someone had already beaten me to it.

But I was also able to find out the attributed author.

According to the Columbia World of Quotations, it’s attributed to a British poet named Cosmo Monkhouse (1840-1901).

Here’s a link to the actual entry on the website where I found it:

http://www.bartleby.com/66/78/40178.html

Keep up the excellent work. I sure wish you were still our president!

Sincerely,

Michael Kuntz
Seattle, WA

Thank you, Michael