Thursday, September 09, 2004

Intensive Care Unit

President Clinton left the intensive care unit yesterday. I'm stating it like this, because Mr. Clinton made a funny when he left the intensive care.

As he was slowly walking out of the intensive care unit and saw dozens of nurses and doctors and friends line the hall, he waved. "Ladies and gentlemen" he said imitating Elvis "Clinton has left the intensive care unit".

Everybody in the hall clapped their hands and cheered. Mr. Clinton rolled his eyes and shook his head.

I was probably the only one, who saw it. I guess we deserved that. He is a patient after all.

Hillary helped him to his room. Mr. Clinton was exhausted when we got there. He lay down on his bed and slept most of the day.

He felt a lot better today. He asked me to go out and buy him some books and DVD's. I bought him some thrillers and that book Unfit for Command.

When I got back, after visiting hours, I saw Mr. Clinton was crying. I asked him what was wrong, but all he could say was he was disappointed that his brother Roger hadn't visited him yet.

Seeing him cry like that almost broke my heart. There isn't much I can do, although I'm seriously considering calling his brother. I do have his phonenumber, because I have president Clinton's address book.

I tried to take him mind of things by reading Unfit for Command to him. I know he was really looking forward to reading that book.

He did ask me to make sure nobody visiting him saw the book. I guess I understand why. It's a secret between us he said. I had to laugh about that. That's typically him.

Mr. Clinton is feeling much better today.