Tuesday, August 24, 2004

John Kerry and Elections

I wasn't looking forward to be such a big part of Kerry's election campaign. But the situation he seems to be in requires all of us Democrats to help. Obviously I'm talking about the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Their ads and I have no opinion on the validity of their messages, though I know senator Kerry is a good man and a true hero, are hurting Kerry's chances to win the election.

Some might seem surprised by Kerry's sudden downfall. I'm not. This whole he served, he didn't serve issue was a major part of the presidential election in '92.

I did not serve in Vietnam. I was studying at the time. I don't know whether I want to be involved in this issue. I don't know.

John Kerry phoned me and asked me to help him counter senator Bob Dole's criticisms. I don't know. I don't know.

I do want to help him win. I think he's the better man, but to throw myself into the middle of a discussion between veterans. I don't know.

I adviced John to call John Podesta. He's one of the best political operators on the Democratic side.

I will contribute more to the campaign, more than I was planning. More than John Kerry had asked me to do, but if he wants me to do more, I will do more.

I hope maintaining this daily diary can help in our efforts to get John Kerry elected.

I want to thank all of you for your wonderful e-mails. Bobbi Lamoon is right here next to me. She's now working with the John Kerry campaign. I asked John to loan her to me for the duration of the election campaign.

It's good to be back.