Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Visit London and dancing in Gay Club

Bill Clinton in the media:

July 14, 2004 Amsterdam, Netherlands
TV Interview with Paul Witteman TV
Interview with Belgian Television
TV Interview with James McGonigal, GPD
Interview with Jan Tromp, De Vonkskrant
Interview with Algemeen Dagblad
Interview with NRC Handelsblag
Print Interview with Libelle
Dutch Publisher Reception

I'm in Amsterdam. Tomorrow I'll be in Paris. Yesterday I was in London. I love Amsterdam, I'm looking forward to Paris, but the good times I had in London are hard to reprise.

I went to bed at 5 in the morning. Kevin Spacey persuaded me to go club hopping with him. I must've danced with hundreds of ladies and gentlemen.

Yes, guys. I went to a Soho gay club. I didn't want to, but Kevin pretty much tricked me into going. I was afraid someone might snap a picture and sell it to the tabloids. Kevin assured me nobody will ever believe I am gay. He said "Hey, you're a liberal. Americans are conservative, but they'll understand it if you visit a gay bar. Liberals were a big part of your voting block". True. I got a lot of support from the gay community. I'm not ashamed of them. Never!

So there I was dancing in a gay bar. How do you dance without actually touching anybody? I mean, I can dance or shuffle around is a better word, when I have Hillary in my arms, but I don't think that's the way I want to dance with any man. So I did my John Travolta imitation. You know the dance with the pointing finger.

I had a great time. I danced with Kevin, with Bobbi, with Kevin's boyfriend (his long term boyfriend Dana Brunetti. This is a different one from the poker game toy boy). We danced to Frankie goes to Hollywood - Relax!, ABBA and "I feel mighty real" and a thousand other disco hits.

When "This is my life" was played, Kevin declared the club officially dead and we went to a hetro hotspot.

Big mistake. I had to dance with dozens of drunk English women in their twenties and thirties. That's not bad. Until they try to forcibly kiss you by the dozens. That's not bad. Until there was a massive catfight between large groups of women over who was going to dance with me next. They were pulling each other's hair, biting, scratching, pulling each other's dresses off and I swear I saw one of them threaten other girls with her lipstick. I have no idea why, but it worked. None of the women came anywhere near her. It was unbelievable.

The bouncers didn't know what to do. They are used to drunk guys. They know how to kick them on the kerb, but women biting each other? We decided to leave for another club. We practically had to find our way to the door on our knees.

I had such a great time. When we got to Kevin's place, we were so full of adrenaline and free drinks, neither of us could sleep. We watched episodes of Dad's Army" on DVD. Oh God! If you ever want to die laughing, you should buy "Dad's Army". It's an old British series and I don't think many Americans know about it, but you'll love it. If you like Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and those kinds of true British comedy series, you'll love this one. A whole new world of comedy will open up to you.

I love London. I hope all Americans will get the chance to visit this city at least once in their lifetime.