Monday, July 12, 2004

Visit Berlin Germany

Book signing event today:

July 12, 2004 London Book Signing Waterstone's Books 1:00 p.m.

Bill Clinton in the media:

July 12, 2004
London, United Kingdom
TV Interview with David Frost, BBC-1
Interview with Alistair Campbell, Channel 5
TV Interview with Christianne Amanpour, CNN Europe
TV Interview with Richard and Judy
London Book Party

I want to thank all the people in Berlin, who came to the book signing session yesterday. I had a great time meeting all of you. Danke schoen.

I only slept two or three hours last night. I couldn't stop reading one of the books the owner of the shop in Berlin, where the book signing event was, had given me. The book I'm talking about is The Satanic Mill. It's about kids learning magic. Like Harry Potter. But where Harry Potter is a bit staid and childish, this book is more creepy, more like The Lord of the Rings. It's supposed to be a story for teens, but I can't stop reading it myself.

The story is about a youngster, who goes to a mill to become an apprentice. It turns out the miller uses black magic to gain power over other people. He has a few other apprentices, whom he teaches magic. But it seems each of the boys sooner or later dies. I don't want to reveal too much, but it has to do with the fact that the kids learn too much and might pose a threat to the miller.

The youngster has to decide whether to fight back. His decision is complicated by the fact that he falls in love and sees all the power black magic could bring him.

For a supposed children's story it's very mature. If you like stories or you have children, who like books I advise you to get this book. Personally I think it's much better than Harry Potter.

The other book I got was The Judge and his Hangman. I haven't read it yet, so I can't say much about it.

I went to the opera. Richard Wagner was amazing. Even Bobbi liked it. His music does something with your body I can't explain. The last time I felt this way was at a Guns and Roses concert ten years ago. Chelsea had done something, I don't remember exactly what and I wanted to reward her. She chose for the concert. I went along with the idea.

Well there is a difference. Wagner’s music seduces you. Guns and Roses' music just shakes you, because they amplify it to 100000 Watts.

I'm in London right now. I've done my book signing session, which went incredibly well. I had a great time talking to the Brits, who came to the event. I want to thank you for the warm welcome you've given me. I'm an Anglophile, so I love being in Britain. I'm sorry it's only for just such a short time, but I know I'll be back soon.

I've also met up with my good friend Kevin Spacey. He runs one of the oldest theatres here in London, the Old Vic. We had supper together at his apartment. Kevin's boyfriend is an excellent cook.

Tomorrow I'll still be here to do some interviews. The day after that I'll be in Amsterdam. The day after that I'll be in Paris.