Saturday, July 03, 2004

Chappaqua New York

Book signing session:

July 3, 2004 Chappaqua Community Center Chappaqua, NY 11:00 a.m.

I want to thank everybody for their well wishes. It was a close call, but I feel good today. I've finished signing books here in my little town, Chappaqua. I had a great time meeting and greeting people. The more people I meet, the more I miss being in office. I hear their stories. Some good, some bad, but I always hear the same tune. Things aren't as good as they used to be. I don't know whether I should feel proud of the good job I did or to feel sad that things didn't remain as good as I left them. I have both feelings at the same time. But I also feel sorry I can't help anybody anymore. We did some good hard work when I was president. It breaks my heart to see what happened to the progress we, as Americans achieved on so many fields. What can you do? Except voting for the right man.

If you have the time, read this book, America Alone: The Neo-Conservatives and the Global Order. It explains the reason why we find ourselves in the sorry state we are in. Less than 4 years after I left office. It's an amazing story.

The doctor examined me this morning. All seems well. He reiterated I should lose weight. I know he is right. Apart from the veins which are clogged, my back aches. My bones can't support my weight anymore. Not at my age.

Hillary is home. I called her to tell her about what happened to me. She wanted to be with me. I told her that wasn't necessary, that she had important appointments to keep in Washington and that Bobbi was taking good care of me. She insisted on coming back home. I feel good, so she doesn't have to come, but I understand her. If something was wrong with her, I'd want to be with her in person too.

Chelsea called to wish me a speedy recovery. She's in England right now. Curly called too. He wished me well.