Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Visit New York

Book Signing Schedule for today:

June 22, 2004 Barnes & Noble 600 Fifth Avenue New York, NY 12:30 p.m.

June 22, 2004 Hue-Man Bookstore 2319 Frederick Douglass Blvd. New York, NY 6:30 p.m.

Today is D-day. I feel good. I feel real good. I've slept well. I've eaten a large breakfast with eggs and sausages. I feel like a boxer just before the fight. My book is out now. There is nothing I can do about it anymore. I hope people like it. I heard some Republicans are staging boycotts of my book. What's their problem? Well, at least they don't hold book-burning events. Not yet! But it does put a lot of pressure on me. If I don't sell a lot of books, they'll claim America has had enough of me. That it shows America has moved to the right on moral issues. That Bush and his hardcore conservative policies will win him the election. I don't understand why everything I do is politicized by the Republicans. I'm not a politician anymore. I'm just a writer. But I'm also a fighter. If they want to fight, let's rumble!

I'm really looking forward to meeting everybody and signing the book. It should be fun. I love meeting people. I hope I'll have the time to talk to everybody personally, but I guess that depends on the amount of people who show up.

If you are in New York, I hope you can come by and say hi. If you're not in New York, I hope to see you on another book signing event. If you bought your book here, tell me, so I get to know the people who read this diary.

I want to thank you and all the other people who bought the book. 2 million books have been sold. It's amazing, humbling, too mind boggling to put in words. But I have no time to be emotional right now. I have a job to do. People are waiting for me.

I feel great. Let's roll!

PS: I'll be on the Oprah Winfrey Show today at 4 p.m.