Thursday, June 10, 2004

Building a Gazebo

I'm on my way to give a speech right now. The people, who hired me are big shot wannabes. Phonies, but it pays good money. I wish I could stay home. I had the most wonderful day. The sun was shining and I decided to prepare my speech sitting in the garden. I saw a flower bud on a pear tree I planted in the garden when we bought the house. If you're not a farm boy, you won't understand the joy I felt. My first flower bud. That means we'll have pears in August. That's just great. I called a few friends of mine to tell them about my pears, but they didn't seem too impressed. City liberals. No, if you're born in Ark and a Sas like me you're a farm boy, whether you were actually born on one or not. I love our garden. I planted all the flowers. Hillary doesn't like flowers. She's a city girl from the Mid West. She says flowers give her a headache. Have you ever heard that? A girl who gets headaches from flowers. Did I get married in the Twilight Zone. Well anyway. That's the kind of girl she is.

I'm thinking about building a gazebo. A glass one. Next to the pear tree. A glass one, because I want to be able to work in it in the fall too. If I use removable glass panels I could use the place both when the sun shines and when it rains. I want to put in some electricity. A table for my notebook, a coffee machine, my books, a couch, maybe a TV. A lock. No, can't do that. A lock might give Hillary the idea I'm building the gazebo just for myself. Not a good tactic, since I need her permission to build one in the first place. But what if she thinks I built it for both of us and in the fall she decides to come and keep me company when I'm in my gazebo? How am I going to enjoy looking out the window at the pears in my pear tree, as the yellow and red leaves fall off the trees and the rain gently hits the roof and I listen to my Ronettes record when she is sitting next to me? Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!