Saturday, June 19, 2004

Book on Amazon Dot Com

I haven't slept all night. I couldn't. I got out of bed at 3 am and played online poker till 7 to ease my mind. I lost 5 dollars. A woman from Wisconsin took the pot. First time I lost to a woman. That's not true. I lost to Julia Roberts at a game a few years ago in Hollywood. I remember that very well. Julia met Lyle Lovett there that night. She married him a few days later. Her luck ran out.

Tuesday is the big day. The release of my book. If you want me to sign it, here are the dates and places I'll visit on my national book signing tour. If you bought your book through the link on the sidebar, say so when I sign your book. I'm very interested to know who the people are, who read my diary. If you want to see me on television, here is the schedule. Tomorrow night I'll be on 60 minutes with Dan Rather. It was a good interview. I have a good feeling about it.

I did my best writing the book. Can't do more. Still it's hard to open up like I did in my book. It's very intimate and personal. To be honest I don't know what to expect from the public. A hatchet or a pat on the shoulder and a "you did a good job". I'm nervous. Very nervous.

I just received an overview from Amazon. On it I can see two things; which books were sold using the links on this site and how much money Amazon owes me for the referral. Till yesterday, 2 people bought my autobiography, My Life and one person bought Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America (Vintage), which you get for a 5% reduction in price when you buy my book.
I wish I could see where the buyers live, so I'd know where the readers of this diary are. Is it New York, Ark and a Sas, San Francisco? As I said I only get to see which books were sold through the links here and my referral fee. So if you buy the book here and you come to the signing session, let me know you bought the book here, through a link on my daily diary.

It seems I made 1 dollar and some change in referral fees. That's just wonderful. As I said last week, I'm using these referral fees for my new project. I want to travel around the United States to see what the State of the Nation is after 4 years of Bush. I know how I left it. I want to see with my own eyes what W did with the country he inherited from me.

Notice that the price you pay for my book on Amazon is lower than the price you will pay in bookstores. Amazon's price is 21 dollars. My publisher's list price is 35 dollars, because the book contains 950 pages and many pictures. This means that if you buy your book from a small book store in a small town, you'll probably have to pay about 35 dollars. If you buy it in a big book store in a big city, you'll probably have to pay about 25 to 30 dollars. Amazon sells the books for 21 dollars, because the publisher gave them a good deal after they bought hundreds of thousands of copies of the book. Just keep this in mind when you're deciding whether to buy online or from a bookstore.

2 million books have been ordered. 2 million. It's unbelievable. I'm shocked and honored. And anxious. 2 million ordered my book, but will they like it. That's what's important to me. Will Americans like my autobiography.